11 Reasons You Should Pick Up Punch Needle

materials for punch needling
Image Credit: Juana Mendoza (via Canva)

1. It's super easy to learn. 

It only took me an hour or two of frustration (and that's because I didn't have the best fabric for my needle and it was super hard to punch through) before I was punching like a pro. Granted, I watched a couple YouTube videos and skimmed through a few books before I started, but I honestly could have figured it out fairly quickly even without those. 

2. It's pretty inexpensive to start.

With less than $50, you can get all of the supplies you need to get started -- and they should last you for quite a few projects! No expensive tools or fancy machines required, and you can get everything you need in one stop (or a few clicks if you love that online shopping life, like me!).

3. You don't need a space to leave it out.

Unless you're fortunate enough to have your own craft room or child/pet free area where you can rest easy leaving unfinished projects for later, this is a biggie. It's hard to move and store projects you're in the middle of but can no longer leave on the dinner table without hangry husbands being upset. With punch needle, you don't have to worry about that!

4. You don't need to do a lot of set up and clean up.

Crafting has always been my thing, and I first started out with scrapbooking, cardmaking, and beading. I could definitely get my projects done in one sitting, but the set up and clean up was always a pain. So many materials and so many little scraps of paper to pick up or beads to sort through when I was finished! With punch needle, I just tuck it all back into my bag and I'm good to go. 

5. It's easy to pause and pick back up.

Obviously not having to set up and clean up is a big factor in this. But punch needle is also really easy to pause and pick back up because you don't have to remember where you left off with a pattern, work in a specific order, or tie things off.

6. You don't have to learn how to read patterns. 

This might not be a big deal for everyone, but I'm just really not an instructions gal. I like to get right into things and figure it out myself. Punch needle has "patterns" (I have some for sell in my Etsy shop), but they're all pretty much just designs to trace onto your fabric. No instructions are really needed once you know the basics.

7. It's easy to bring along.

I can carry ALL of my supplies in a large tote, but you could easily pack what you need in a small pouch by simply cutting a handful of yarn off of the larger spools (or by using embroidery floss). I pull out just what I need for the project I'm currently working on and have no problem bringing it in the car on road trips or to a game watch party. 

8. It allows for a lot of creative freedom.

I love crafts where I can easily manipulate or come up with my own projects and punch needle is really easy to do this with. Change up your stitch to create fun textures; draw in extras on your design to personalize it or increase the difficulty; omit elements of the design to make it easier; and easily resize your pattern for different projects. 

9. It's easy to do while doing something else.

Punch needle doesn't take a lot of concentration so it's easy to do while watching TV, visiting with family, watching your kids play, listening to a podcast... you get the idea. I'm not someone who is very good at just doing one thing at a time without getting restless, so punch needle is great for giving me something to do with my hands. 

10. You can use the same pattern for different things.

It's so simple to resize patterns, especially if you're enlarging them. You can use just about any design for any project you have in mind and create different items with the same design for a fun matching look. Think punch needle patches and a punch needled tote, or punch needle pillows with a matching rug!

11. It's a great form of self-care.

Because it's so simple and easy to pick up whenever, punch needle is an awesome self-care activity. It's very relaxing and you can create so many beautiful projects to be proud of. Something about having a finished product you made yourself is really fulfilling and confidence boosting.

Do I have you convinced?! If you're now ready to make needle punching your new favorite hobby, these posts will help you get started:

What Punch Needle Is and What It Isn't

I hope you found this article helpful. And if you did, there's plenty more where that came from on my Instagram and Pinterest pages. I'd love to connect with you there, so please give me a follow and a shout!

Comments

Popular Posts