The Benefits of Trying A New Craft: Our Experience Glass Blowing

Assorted colors of glass rods for glass blowing
Image Credit: ChristiLaLiberte (via Canva)

I came across a killer deal for an introductory glass blowing class on Groupon a few months ago and decided that would be a fun, new activity for my husband and I to try. We needed something a bit more exciting during the drab winter months following the holidays to keep us going. Even with a deal, it was a bit more than we'd normally spend on a date, so I actually gifted it to him for Valentine's Day. We were finally able to attend the class last month (and I'm finally getting around to writing about it), but it was an absolute BLAST!  

We really enjoyed our instructor -- a cheery and incredibly talented artist from Australia -- and the many beautiful glass creations they had on display in their gallery. But as fun as the experience was, what I really enjoyed was the way I felt

My husband and I have been dealing with a lot of stress lately. Better stress than what we've faced for the past three years or so, but stressful nonetheless. We had some big life decisions to make (regarding careers, education, and possibly moving) and while we're incredibly grateful to even be in a position to consider these options, it's hard not to feel immense anxiety as we try to weigh the pros and cons of a plethora of life-changing choices. 

The entire 20-minute car ride to the glass studio, my mind was whirling with questions and scenarios and endless outcomes. We had very little to talk about as I tried to not bring up the very things we had been re-hashing the past several weeks -- even though I was silently doing that in my own head. 

But when we finally got to the glass studio, the worries that had been constantly occupying my thoughts and running through my mind on repeat... STOPPED. I honestly didn't really think about or notice it in the moment, but rather in hindsight (once they started up again). 

Carefully listening to the instructors walk us through the steps of our beginner's class project (and how not to burn ourselves!) took focus. Admiring the intricate details of the glass artwork on display, and taking in the many intrigueing facts about the artists and their work, captured my interest. And watching our instructor demonstrate the process took serious attentiveness as I tried to memorize his movements.

When it came time to finally try our hands at the glass working, it took a lot of concentration to make sure I was rotating the rod evenly through the flame and keeping it level so the growing bulb wouldn't turn into a droopy, misshapen blob. Even when it was my husband's turn to give it a go, I was occupied snapping pictures and watching to see how well he did in executing the steps. 


The anxiety didn't return as soon as we were finished either, because we still had our work to admire and scrutinize. We had plenty to discuss on our way home -- what we thought of our instructor, what we thought of the glass working process, our favorite pieces in the gallery, what we thought we did well, and what we would do differently if we could try it again. 

It was so nice to have this pleasant distraction and break from the stress. Arts and crafts are often a positive coping method for me when it comes to managing mental health, but the effects of this glass blowing experience felt more potent than usual and I concluded this is why...

Increased level of excitement and intrigue 

Most of the crafts I regularly engage in are ones I have been doing for years. I still thoroughly enjoy them and get excited about new projects I'm working on, but the level of intrigue and exploration you experience when doing something completely new is just different. Even more so as an adult, places and experiences that invoke even a slight sense of wonder bring us back to a child-like, carefree version of ourselves.

Higher levels of concentration required 

On the same thread, participating in crafts I'm very experienced and comfortable in generally means lower levels of concentration are needed... and that means more opportunity for my mind to wander and wind up in negative spirals I then have to fight to redirect myself from. Finding things that require higher levels of concentration, engagement, and focus is a welcome relief for my overactive brain.

Lower expectations for the finished product

I don't earn high marks in the self-compassion department (I'm working on it!), but I find I can be a little gentler with myself and more realistic in my expectations for how the piece turns out when it's something I'm a complete beginner at. Logically I realize this is my first time ever trying it so I can't expect it to be perfect. I find it easier to focus more on the process versus the finish product and give myself credit for the effort and growth versus the outcome. 

I would highly recommend giving glass blowing a go, but more than anything I would encourage others (myself included) to make an effort to try something new more often. Anxiety can make it difficult to want to try new things, but sometimes that is the best thing you can do. When was the last time you experienced something for the first time? There are a lot of extra benefits, on top of the many positive effects of crafting, when participating in a new activity or experience!

I hope you found this article helpful. And if you did, there's plenty more where that came from on my Instagram and Pinterest pages. I'd love to connect with you there, so please give me a follow and a shout!

Comments

Popular Posts